Polar FT4 Heart Rate Monitor Review
Polar FT4 is specially designed for fitness enthusiasts and competitive athletes in need of basic heart rate monitoring features and more. Heart rate data is important in improving your body’s fitness level, and that is what Polar FT4 does.
It also measures and lets you know how many calories you have burned and are burning during a workout. You no longer have to rely solely on your exercise equipment to do that for you. Working out has never been this easy!
- Measures only heart rate and not foot steps
- Provides continuous, accurate heart rate to keep your fitness training simple
- Smart Calorie feature uses your personal data to provide accurate calories burned
- Includes heart rate chest strap made of soft fabric material that adapts to your body shape; Requires and includes chest strap for accurate heart rate
- User replaceable battery and water resistant (30m)
- Connects with compatible gym equipment using GymLink
- Easy to use - Polar FT4 is so easy to use. After taking it out of the box, all you have to do is go through the setup wizard - which is incredibly quick - and you are set to use it for your workouts. Polar FT4 needs your personal data like weight, height, etc. in order to properly track your burned calories and help you through your fitness journey according to your preferences.
- Looks just like a watch - Unlike chest strap trackers that usually look ridiculous, this looks just like a watch, so you can wear it anytime - even when not working out.
- Alarm for heart rate zone - The watch lets you know if you are hitting your target heart rate or not through a quiet alarm. You can set your target heart rate manually or automatically, based on your personal information. This is a great feature considering it is important to maintain your heart rate zone to be able to see results from your workouts. When you are not hitting your heart rate zone, that means you are either under-training or over-training, and both can result to nonexistent progress and even injuries.
- Lightweight and comfortable - Polar FT4 is incredibly lightweight. It won’t bother you while exercising because it is made of light and comfortable material that you won’t even feel you are wearing it.
- Accurate - The tracker does its job of tracking your heart rate accurately, plus the amount of calories you burned. Just this feature is enough to justify a purchase.
- Includes a chest strap - You can wear this heart rate tracker as a watch, and you can also wear it with a chest strap for an even more accurate BPM reading. The chest strap is also made of soft fabric material that allows it to adapt to your body shape, so that it fits you perfectly.
- Replaceable battery - This also allows for easily replaceable battery, that you can replace it on your own. It also has a battery life of 12 months, presuming your workouts last 30 minutes a day.
- Water-resistant - Polar FT4 is water-resistant, so if it suddenly rains while you are running or doing any type of exercise outdoors, you are assured that it is protected.
- Strap is not too durable - The strap, while it is made of soft and comfortable fabric, is not too durable. Some users that reviewed this heart rate tracker online have complained about the chest strap breaking off easily.
- The heart rate monitor stops suddenly - While the heart rate tracker is accurate, it is difficult to work out if it just shuts itself down all of a sudden, in the middle of an activity. Some users have had to restart their workout to be able to track their heart rate and monitor their calories.
- You have to wet the sensor - This may sound ridiculous, but you still have to wet the sensor before wearing it for it to detect your heart rate accurately. Users have remarked that they had to lick it or get it wet for it to do its job.
The Polar FT4 is one of the relatively affordable heart rate monitors on the market right now. It is a decent heart rate monitor watch, and it is quite easy to use.
However, you will have to take extra steps (like wetting the sensor) prior to wearing it, and that can prove to be a hassle. It is also a bummer to have to deal with it stopping suddenly. But if you are looking for a heart rate tracker that is not too expensive, is accurate, and convenient, we recommend that you check this one out.